When it comes to kayak fishing, for many people, the best way is to stand up – however, not every kayak is suitable for use with standing fishing. As such, it’s imperative that you choose a high quality kayak model that can allow you to stand safely and comfortably while fishing without having to worry about falling off or capsizing!
The best kayaks for stand up fishing are those which are designed with stability in mind. Sit in kayaks are out of the question, of course; as such, we’ve picked out our five top picks for the best, most stable sit on top kayaks that can double up as great stand up fishing kayaks too!
Top 5 Stand Up Fishing Kayaks
Pelican Sit on Top Kayak Sentinel 100X
- Compact 9’6” kayak built for the recreational paddler looking for an easy-to-store kayak with reassuring stability and a comfortable seating system
- Comes with our new ExoShell 13L removable storage compartment.
- Made with our patented RAM-X material, an exceptionally durable triple-layer high molecular weight polyethylene, which creates a strong yet conveniently lightweight kayak that comes with a Limited Lifetime on both the deck and hull.
- Weighing only 42 lb. makes this kayak easy to carry and store. Maximum capacity of 275 lb.
- Our unique manufacturing process allows us to add additional flotation in the form of foam blocks between the deck and the hull. These foam blocks make the kayak more rigid and ensure paddler safety.
This short and wide kayak from the Pelican store comes in a choice of two different colors: EXO Neptune White and Light Khaki. It is also one of the most lightweight fishing kayaks on our list, weighing just 42 pounds; however, it is able to support up to a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds nonetheless. The lightweight construction and additional flotation blocks ensure that the kayak will remain stable in the water, even when used as a stand up fishing kayak.
The kayak is rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars, based on 180 past ratings, and prices start from $808. It is also the seventh most popular model in the Amazon Best Seller’s rank for fishing kayaks.
Lifetime Tamarack Pro 103 Sit On Top Kayak
- Equipped for Fishing: Built in rod holders (1 Adjustable, 2 Flush Mounted), accessory mounting, tackle box storage, and a ruler to measure your catch.
- Maximum Comfort: The adjustable framed seat and adjustable footrests let you optimize your comfort to the ideal position.
- Deep Hull Channels for Tracking Performance and Chine Rails for Stability
- Center Storage Hatch with Bucket Included; Deeper Tank Well for Greater Storage Capacity
- Front and Rear Bungee Cords to Secure Loose Items; Paddle Keeper to Secure Your Paddle to the Kayak
This model of kayak from the Lifetime store offers great tracking and stability in the water; as such, it is a good choice of kayak if you’re looking for a model that can be used as a stand up fishing kayak. It weighs in at 60 pounds and can support up to a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds.
The kayak is designed with numerous features that make it great as a fishing kayak, including mounted rod holders and adjustable accessory mounting units. Furthermore, it has plenty of storage and a paddle keeper for when you’re not on the go.
The model has achieved an average rating of a respectable 4.2 out of 5 stars and is affordable, with its price starting from $489.
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene. Stable Flat Bottom. Deep Hull Tracking Channels. Stability Chine Rails
- Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Riders. Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad for Comfort. Front and Rear Shock Cord Straps
- Two Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders. One Top Mount Fishing Rod Holder
- Two 6" Storage Compartments in Rear and Center. One Paddle Keeper with Shock Cords. Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport
- Durable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Construction. 5-Year Limited Warranty
Perfect for use as a stand up fishing kayak thanks to its width and stability in the water, this model is also ranked as the second most popular fishing kayak based on the Amazon Best Seller’s rank of the same name. It is made form UV-protected high density polyethylene and is great for durability, too; it comes with a five-year limited warranty as well.
The kayak can support up to a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds. It has also achieved an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars from over 460 past customers and is affordable from just $439.
Perception Outlaw 11.5 Sit on Top Fishing Kayak
- The newest generation in affordable fishing - Made in USA
- Designed to accommodate small to extra large paddlers
- Optimized and elevated seating console - frame seat folds and is removable
- Large bow and stern tank wells provide ample storage for crates and fishing gear
- 2 double-barrel rod holders can accommodate up to 4 fishing rods
Though primarily designed for use with seated fishing, this model of fishing kayak from the Perception Kayaks store is still a great choice for many people thanks to its wide, square, and stable design. This allows it to have extra stability in the water, making it a great choice for stand up fishing. It also features a space in front of the chair for those who prefer standing while fishing.
The kayak comes in a choice of two different colors: dapper and moss camo. It features two double barrel rod holders, and these can hold up to four fishing rods between them. In addition to this, the kayak is also designed with three solo mount recesses which mean that additional accessories can easily be added to the model.
The kayak itself can support up to a maximum weight capacity of 425 pounds and weighs in at 77 pounds. It is ranked as the thirteenth most popular fishing kayak based on the Amazon Best Seller’s rank of the same name and has achieved an impressive average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars from almost 100 past customers. It is priced from $749.
Perception Tribe 9.5 Sit on Top Kayak
- Perception’s bestselling sit-on-top kayak – Made in the USA – Top choice for beginner to intermediate paddlers
- New adjustable framed seatback with cushy padded seat pan - Paddle with greater comfort
- Molded knee/Thigh areas for added comfort/fit
- Integrated footrests to accommodate paddlers of different sizes
- Front and rear tank well storage with bungee tied owns
It’s short length and wide base make this model of sit on top kayak from Perception another great option if you’re looking for a stand up fishing kayak. The model is priced from just $559 and comes in a choice of four different colors: dapper, deja vue, funkadelic, and salsa. Moreover, its great design makes it suitable for kayakers of all levels, and this has made it the company’s most popular kayak model for 2020.
The kayak features sleek hull tracks that ensure it offers great tracking, and the flat base ensures its stability in the water – vital for stand up fishing. Moreover, it has molded knee and thigh rests for use while padding and a center storage hatch for small items and keys. The front and rear tank wells also offer storage possibilities.
The Perception Tribe weighs in at an impressively lightweight 46 pounds. It can support up to a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds. The kayak has achieved an average rating from over 110 past customers of a whopping 4.7 out of 5 stars. It is also ranked as the 11th most popular model in the Amazon Best Seller’s rank for fishing kayaks.
If you’re looking for a great stand up fishing kayak, don’t panic – our team have scoured the Internet to find the best and most stable stand up fishing kayak models for you to consider. After all, not all kayaks are made equally – and some just can’t offer the stability in the water that you need to make the most of standing fishing!
Hopefully, our review will have given you inspiration as to what to look for from your next stand up fishing kayak. Don’t forget, though – there are a huge number of different kayak models available online, so if these don’t take your fancy, there is surely a fishing kayak model out there that will be right for your fishing needs!