Best Fishing Kayak in the market
When it comes to choosing a fishing kayak, there are numerous different things that you should consider. Indeed, the ideal fishing kayak will differ depending on your unique requirements, however, it shouldn’t be too difficult to choose one that is suitable! Today, we have looked at some of the best fishing kayaks available to help you find a model that is right for all of your fishing needs.
Top 5 Fishing Kayaks
Pelican Maxim 100X Sit-In Recreational Kayak
- Lightweight and easy to carry with Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport this Sit-In kayak has a maximum capacity of 275 lb. / 125 KG
- Includes a Storage hatch with bungee cord and a Storage Platform with a Mesh Deck Cover to store all your gear for your trip on the water
- The Shallow V Chine hull Design provides good stability and maneuverability while providing very good performance.Do not use chemical products or abrasives
- Includes a Cockpit Table with bottle holder, Molded Footrests for Comfort and Secure Foot Bracing and a drain plug preventing water infiltration
- The ERGOFORM Seating System includes a padded seat cushion and an adjustable padded backrest cushion providing better support
This model of kayak, though primarily recreational in nature, is often used by fishing enthusiasts as well. It is ranked as the 6th most popular model based on the Amazon Best Seller’s rank for fishing kayaks, and its numerous features make it good for this goal.
The kayak offers a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds and weighs just 39 pounds itself, making it a lightweight model of kayak. It includes a storage hatch and platform to ensure that your gear stays safe and dry while on the go; it also features a bottle holder, molded footrests, and a secure foot bracing system.
This model from Pelican has achieved an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars from over 120 past customers and is available from $389.
Lifetime 90806 Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak – 2 Pack
- Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad for Comfort; Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Paddlers
- Paddle keeper to Secure Your Paddle to the Kayak (Paddle Included); Two Hatches for Added Storage Beneath the Deck
- Deep Hull Channels for Tracking Performance and Chine Rails for Stability; Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene
- Front and Rear Shock Cords; Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport
- One Adjustable Fishing Rod Holder; Two Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders
Ideal for fishing enthusiasts, this two-pack kayak set is the ideal way to enjoy a spot of fishing while out on the waves. The set has achieved an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars from over 185 past customers and is priced from $913, making the price for each kayak just over $450. The model features a paddle holder, deep hull channels, padded seats, two flush mounted fishing rod holders, and an adjustable fishing rod holder.
Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 21-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
This model of inflatable kayak from Sevylor is a highly popular choice for many different reasons. It features a unique backpack storage design which makes moving the kayak around easy; when inflated, the backpack transforms into the padded seat! Weighing in at just 18 pounds, it is also exceptionally lightweight – in short, this is one of the most easily transportable models of kayak around!
The kayak is designed to inflate in just five minutes and, once fully inflated and sealed, can support up to a maximum weight capacity of 400 pounds.
The model has achieved an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars from over 1000 past customers. Furthermore, priced from just $150, it is also one of the most affordable models of inflatable fishing kayaks as well.
Lifetime Tamarack 100 Fishing Kayak
- Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene. Stable Flat Bottom. Deep Hull Tracking Channels. Stability Chine Rails
- Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Riders. Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad for Comfort. Front and Rear Shock Cord Straps
- Two Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders. One Top Mount Fishing Rod Holder
- Two 6" Storage Compartments in Rear and Center. One Paddle Keeper with Shock Cords. Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport
- Durable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Construction. 5-Year Limited Warranty
This model of kayak from the Lifetime store is incredibly popular among fishing enthusiasts and comes in a choice of three colors: blue, green, or light brown. The kayak has ranked as the second most popular choice of fishing kayak based on the Amazon Best Seller’s rank. There is also the option of a model without the paddle, too, for those who might prefer to buy a paddle separately or who already own one.
The model is made from UV-protected, high-density polyethylene, which admittedly makes it slightly heavier than some models of fishing kayak on this list at 54 pounds; however, that’s still not a bad weight for a solid kayak model. It is capable of supporting a generous weight capacity of 275 pounds, which should be suitable for most kayakers. It measures in at 121 by 31 by 14 inches in size.
The model comes with two flush mounted fishing rod holders to make for easy use, as well as an additional top mount fishing rod holder. In addition to this, the kayak offers ample storage options thanks to the two 6-inch compartments.
It has achieved an average rating on Amazon of 4.3 out of 5 stars from over 440 past customers and is priced from just $350, making it a highly affordable model.
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
Choosing a high-quality fishing kayak shouldn’t be difficult, and this model of fishing kayak from Intex could be just the one you’ve been looking for! With an impressive average rating on Amazon of 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 2,000 past customers, it is arguably one of the most popular fishing kayak models; furthermore, it is ranked as the 9th most popular model of fishing kayak based on the Amazon Best Seller’s Rank.
The model measures in at 151 x 37 x 18 inches in size and weighs an impressively lightweight 43 pounds, which can be beneficial as many models of fishing kayaks are heavy and difficult to move. Of course, this lightweight nature is a result of the model being inflatable and made from super tough laminate material with a polyester core, as opposed to plastic which a non-inflatable kayak is usually made from. Moreover, the kayak is capable of seating two people and has a maximum weight capacity of 400 pounds, which should be suitable for most kayakers.
The kayak has two integrated fishing rod holders, making it ideal for use as a fishing kayak. It also has a mounting bracket for fishing accessories and adjustable footrests and seats, making it easier for kayakers to use this model. Storage options are plentiful with space being available both in the bow and the stern.
The model is priced from $539, making it one of the most affordable high-quality fishing kayaks you will find as well.
When choosing a fishing kayak, you should consider a plethora of different features to make sure you have chosen one which best meets your needs. Fortunately, there are plenty of options available on the internet for the best fishing kayaks and this should ensure that there is a model out there for everyone!
Hopefully our review of the best fishing kayaks will have given you some ideas about the most appropriate models for you to consider, or if not, we at least hope it’ll have given you some inspiration about what to look for from your new fishing kayak!
Kayak Fishing FAQ
- How do I get started with kayak fishing?
The first thing you will want to do is go out and try it with a friend or even better call up a kayak fishing guide. Also read up on kayak fishing to make sure that it is definitely for you. After you have made the decision to give kayak fishing a try then you will want to start looking for a kayak and any other equipment you will need. In addition you may want to watch some kayak fishing videos. Once you take these steps you will be ready to begin your kayak fishing adventure.
- Do I want a Sit Inside or Sit-On-Top kayak for kayak fishing?
While the ultimate decision regarding whether you should buy a sit-inside or a sit-on-top kayak is yours and yours alone there are definitely benefits to buying a sit-on-top kayak when it comes to Kayak fishing. This type of kayak is considered to be significantly more stable and safer to use and is generally considered the superior model for kayak fishing.
- Is kayak and fishing right for you?
Whether or not kayak fishing is right for you depends on what your fishing goals and preferences are. If you are looking for an inexpensive and fun way to get into fishing then kayak fishing may be right for you. Kayak fishing is also ideal if you have a limited amount of space to store and transport a fishing vessel but want to get out in the open waters. In addition it is also important to consider your health and the shape you are in as strength is important in kayaking.
- How important is a kayak rudder when ocean kayak fishing?
A kayak Rudder in ocean kayak fishing is extremely important because they aid in smoother steering in the stronger winds that are characteristic of the ocean. You want to be sure that your rudder is in proper working condition before heading out to fish in the open sea.
- How should my kayak be stored?
It is important to have a suitable place to store your kayak and if it is possible indoor storage is ideal. A garage or a spare bedroom will keep your kayak out of the elements and in better shape for longer. If indoor storage is not possible it is important to keep your kayak covered with a tarp or a kayak cover to protect it from damage from UV rays.
- What is the best way to PROTECT my kayak?
Kayaks can cost a considerable amount of money so it is important to protect your kayak after you buy it. There are a number of products that can be used to protect your kayak but one that is known to work well is 303 Aerospace Kayak Protectant which works like a sunscreen for your kayak. In addition, if you clean your kayak after each use your kayak should last years to come. Just get the job done without damaging your kayak.
- When kayak fishing where do you keep the fish you want to take home for dinner?
Keeping your fish fresh when you are kayak fishing can be a little bit trickier than keeping fish in other situations but there are a number of options. One option for storing your fish on a kayak is a tradition ice chest. In addition to being durable and easy to get into these often come designed specifically for fitting into fishing kayaks. The downside is that they are also heavy and bulky. A soft, bag-like ice chest is another option for storing fish and much easier to maneuver in the small space of a kayak. The downside of these is that they need to be unzipped every time they are used which can be a tedious task when fishing. These same types of bags are made specifically for kayaks as well and may be a better but similar option
- What is the best way to haul your fishing kayak?
Hauling a kayak is much simpler than hauling most other vessels used for fishing but not without its challenges as kayaks can be heavy when they are equipped for fishing. This is why most kayak anglers carry their fishing gear separate until it is time to put the kayak in the water. A rack on the top of your vehicle is the best way to carry your fishing kayak and there are a number of models to choose from depending on your preferences.
- How should I modify my kayak for kayak fishing?
When modifying a kayak for kayak fishing it is important to do so in a way that will not result in leaks or any other complications. Some of the modifications you may want to consider include installing some form of storage, rod holders, a fish finder, a bait holder, an anchor, and a tie up system. All of these modifications will work together to enhance your kayak fishing experience and will help you to be more successful in your fishing.
- What should I look for in a used kayak if I want to go kayak fishing?
Buying a used kayak is a great way to save money and a great way to get a better boat for less but there are a few things to look for in a used kayak. Obviously visible damage is not a good sign but you also want to be sure to look for less visible damage such as small holes or missing accessories before buying a used kayak.
- What kind of safety gear should I have when I go kayak fishing?
Safety is important when it comes to kayaking, particularly ocean kayaking. There are a number of things that you should purchase in order to better ensure your safety while on the water. Those items include but may not be limited to a personal floatation device (for obvious reasons), a knife to be used in the cases where you need to cut entanglements, a VHF radio for communication, a first-aid kit for injuries as well as device for signaling, an additional set of paddles and an extra leash, and a device to be used to bail unwanted water out of your kayak.
- What is a good size kayak to purchase when you want to go ocean kayak fishing?
Size definitely matters when it comes to fishing kayaks as different sizes produce different results. If you are new kayak fishing you may want a wider kayak that is much more stable. Or you can choose a kayak for its speed which would mean a much longer and narrower vessel. In addition, longer kayaks are ideal for easily cutting ocean waves. For the most part when the ocean is where you will be fishing, stability and speed are important which means you will want a longer kayak which will help from getting beat up out there.
- What kind of kayak should I buy if I want to go kayak fishing?
The kayak you need for kayak fishing will mostly be up to you and your personal preferences. There are a number of things to consider when choosing your kayak. Factors such as accessories, speed, stability, storage, and budget should all be considered prior to purchasing a fishing kayak. The manufacturer should also be taken into consideration as each one is unique in their designs.
- What are the pros and cons of kayak and fishing?
The pros of kayak fishing include the fact that you can maneuver and fish in shallower water with you fishing kayak, kayaks are easier to transport, kayak fishing is lower cost than boat fishing, No gas bill and it provides a good workout. The cons on the other hand are that kayaks are somewhat heavy and there is a very limited amount of storage available on them. In addition it is much more difficult to stand up on older kayak than it is a traditional fishing vessel.
- How do I choose a kayak for kayak fishing?
Choosing a kayak for kayak fishing may seem a bit confusing in the beginning but if you consider a few key factors it will be much simpler. The first factor you need to consider is your size because that will play a large role in determining which kayak is right for you. Next you want to consider where you will do most of your fishing because ocean fishing requires certain features that a typical kayak may not be equipped with. And finally, you will want to choose a kayak that gives you the speed and the stability necessary for kayak fishing. Being able to maneuver properly and quickly is important in order to be a successful kayak Angler.
- How does kayaking and fishing work together?
Kayak fishing is great for a number of reasons. For one a kayak is much quieter than most other fishing vessels. In addition kayaks have the ability to go more places and they are easier to transport and less expensive to keep up. And if these are not reason enough there is always the fact that kayaking is simply a fun sport to be involved in.
- What roof racks should I buy for my fishing kayak?
There are a number of different types of roof racks and which one you choose will have to do with the vehicle you are installing one on and the size of your kayak. Some systems allow you to carry your kayak sideways while others require the kayak to lie down; both work well so the decision is up to you. In addition you should consider how many kayaks you intend to transport with your roof rack as some can carry up to four kayaks.